Regional Bicycle Plan
The MTC Regional Bicycle Plan is a component of the 2001 Regional Transportation
Plan for the San Francisco Bay Area. It represents the sustained efforts of MTC
staff, the Plan Oversight Committee, local agencies, advocacy groups, and countless
dedicated citizens in the Bay Area. It is intended to be a resource document
for Bay Area town, city, and county planners and advocates. This plan is regional
in focus and is, therefore, oriented around policies and programs and defers
to local decision making about specific routes and facilities.
As a regional agency, the MTC responsibilities related to bicycling in the
Bay Area include:
- Encouraging the provision of bicycle facilities
- Encouraging continuity of facilities across jurisdictional boundaries
- Providing technical assistance and functioning as an information clearinghouse
- Balancing the differing transportation needs in the region
- Setting regional priorities
This plan provides a framework for identifying regional priorities for routes
and facilities and recommends a series of activities and policies to encourage
bicycling at the regional level.
2001 Regional Bicycle Plan for the San Francisco Bay Area
DOWNLOAD (in Word format):
MAPS (in PDF):
Bicycle Safety Study Maps
For more information, contact Doug Johnson at 510.817.5846, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.