Jobs & Contracts
Meetings & Events
Maps & Data
San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge
- East span news : the newsletter of the San
Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge East Span Seismic Safety Project
- Published by Caltrans.
- Bay Bridge 360
- Visitors to Bay Bridge 360 will find videos that tell the story of this bridge,
including an overview of the seismic retrofit projects; the time-lapse video showing
crews rolling in the 350-foot-long, 6,500-ton section of viaduct on Yerba Buena Island
during Labor Day weekend 2007; and conceptual videos such as “Wrangling Rebar,” showing construction
crews working with the steel reinforcing bars in often unique and precarious situations.
- Bay Bridge Info
- This site illustrates and describes every phase of the new East Span construction of the San
Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Includes articles and photo galleries about all aspects of the
construction process, individuals involved in the project, and history of the original bridge.
Project drawings, primary documents, links to historical photos, study materials for middle school,
glossary of bridge building terms.
- Bay Bridge Rail Feasibility Study
- Prepared by Nelson Nygaard Consulting in 2000.
- Site dedicated to bridge engineering, history and construction, with news and updates on bridge
construction projects around the world. Bay Bridge information current to 2002.
- Bridging the Bay: Bridging the
- UC Berkeley Library's Spring 2000 web exhibit on the Bay Area's bridges, including bridges that
were considered but never built.
- Feasibility report : San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge West
Span : bicycle / pedestrian / maintenance path planning and feasibility study
- Prepared by CH2M Hill in 2001.
- Final environmental impact statement/statutory exemption and
final section 4(f) evaluation
- Prepared for Caltrans in 2001.
- Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering
- This Library of Congress collection contains numerous detailed photographs of the Bay Bridge.
- History of California's Bridge Tolls
- A chart of tolls collected on California bridges from 1926 to 2004, complied by Caltrans.
- MTC East Span Replacement Project
- MTC's page on the Bay Bridge Project, including the design process, alignment, rail on the
bridge, and bike/pedestrian paths.
- Museum of the City of San Francisco
- On-line collections, including photographs of the original construction of the Bay Bridge and
"Symphonies in Steel: Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate," an article on the history of both
- Online Archive of California: Images Collection
- Searchable archive of 120,000 images of California history, including the building of the Bay
Bridge, from the California Digital Library, University of California.
- Planning and design recommendations, Bay Bridge eastern span
- MTC recommendations from 1997.
- Structural assessment of rail on the Bay Bridge : summary report
- Prepared by Ove Arup and Partners in 1999.
- Library list
- Links to the library catalog.