
Work Resumes on New Bay Bridge Foundations
Toll Bridge Program Oversight Committee Resolves
a Major Challenge
Contacts:
Bart Ney, Caltrans
510.224.6499
Randy Rentschler, BATA 510.817.5780
Stephen
Maller, CTC 916.654.4245
Oakland, Calif., Dec. 7, 2005 – On
the waters of the San Francisco Bay, construction work has
resumed on the foundations for the world’s largest Single
Tower Self Anchored Suspension (SAS) Bridge. The steel
template that will guide 8.5-foot diameter piles to support
the elegant 525-foot-tall tower has already been reinstalled. “This
is a great start for the new oversight partnership team,” said
Caltrans Director Will Kempton, who is one of the three principal
directors for the new Toll Bridge Program Oversight Committee
(TBPOC). Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) Executive Director
Steve Heminger and California Transportation Commission (CTC)
Executive Director Diane Eidam share oversight responsibility
on the new team. The TBPOC was developed as part of California
Assembly Bill 144 (AB 144) signed by Governor Schwarzenegger
in July of 2005 to oversee the Toll Bridge Seismic Retrofit
Program.
The
marine foundations for the new SAS Bridge were awarded in a separate contract
to Kiewit-FCI-Manson, a Joint Venture, on April 1, 2004. The project
was suspended earlier this year following a design difference that was
resolved by the governor and state legislators in AB 144 authored by Assemblywoman
Loni Hancock. The TBPOC recently approved an $81 million change order that
covers all contractor costs including labor, equipment, materials, on and
off site storage yard costs, and time-related overhead incurred by suspending
the project. The newly restarted marine foundation contract is within the
$313.5 million base line budget assumed by AB 144 “With AB 144 and
the restart of the marine foundations we are back on track,” said
BATA Executive Director Steve Heminger.
Back
on the San Francisco Bay clear signs of progress are visible on the water. Along
with the tower template, work crews are preparing to place the new steel
template on the eastern foundation for the SAS bridge. The contractor has
already ordered the steel to finish this work, which is now estimated to
be completed in the Spring of 2008. “The team is doing all
it can to ensure a safe, high quality bridge at the best possible price
for the State of California,” said CTC Executive Director Diane Eidam.
The
contract for the SAS Bridge superstructure went out for bid on August 1,
2005. Submitted bids will be opened for this contract on February
1, 2006.
|