Search title image

Press Releases

For Immediate Release

MTC Chair Comments On Governor's Traffic Congestion Relief Plan

CONTACT:

Sean Charpentier
408.299.3924

Steve Heminger
510.817.5810

SAN JOSE, Calif., April 6, 2000 . . . In response to Gov. Davis' proposed $1.5 billion traffic congestion relief plan for the Bay Area, Santa Clara County Supervisor and chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission James Beall said today, "The Governor has offered the Bay Area a solid down payment on the multitude of needed transportation projects, and we appreciate his leadership. He has given the Bay Area a good deal."

Beall noted that MTC has spent the last year developing a comprehensive Bay Area Transportation Blueprint for the 21st Century that identifies $33 billion worth of needed but unfunded transit and highway projects. In recent weeks, MTC pinpointed a list of near-term, priority, congestion-relief projects that could be accomplished for approximately $4 billion. And last week, the agency submitted the list to the Governor with the request that he fund close to $2 billion through his forthcoming transportation plan.

"We look forward to working with both the Governor and the Legislature as they debate this plan and the proposed methods of financing it," Beall said. "At the same time, MTC continues to support a state constitutional amendment that would allow a simple majority vote for passing local revenue measures that will provide an ongoing source of funds for the operation, maintenance and expansion of our transportation network."

-30-

Previous | Contents | Next